Saturday, August 19, 2017

"PLEASE DO NOT PEE OFF THE PORCH!"

Oh my absolute madness!!  Gatlinburg is the most bizarre and backward place that I have EVER been... and I think I kinda like it!!  The best way that I can describe this place is by the sign that I saw on the upper porch of a restaurant that said: "PLEASE DO NOT PEE OFF THE PORCH!"  Sadly, due to the brightness of the sun and the angle from which I was trying to take the photo, I could not get a clear shot; so you are going to have to take my word on this one!!

Gatlinburg was supposed to be my secluded mountain stop for a good night's rest before I head back towards Memphis to experience Graceland.  Fortunately, my hotel is near the quieter part of town, and it is incredibly lovely!  My room is right next to the pool, but thankfully the sound of the waterfall drowns out all the noise.






Nearby, I found this cute little Episcopal church, this quaint little Catholic church, and this sweet little pancake house that I might try to visit tomorrow.




However, take just a mere five (5) minute walk down the road and a turn to either the left or the right, and that's where all the debauchery begins.  I have never seen so many variations of the Ripley's Believe It or Not offerings, optical illusion attractions, and oddly-themed dinner shows.  (Who thinks of these things?!?!?)  I have also never heard so many German accents or seen so many funnel cake shops.  On top of all of this, there is a Bluegrass music writers' festival going on.  There was a sea of bodies for as far as the eye could see.  I couldn't even stop to get many decent pictures for fear of being trampled by the crowd, but this one should give you an idea.


Needless to say, I am safely back at the hotel, and I'm going to spend some time relaxing and reading next to that beautiful waterfall and pool.  I also managed to pick up this magnet while heading back.  The magnet made me laugh a bit because it looks so peaceful and serene.  My memories of this city will forever be the exact opposite... I still kinda dig all of the oddities here however!!!


Tomorrow, I'm off to Memphis to visit my beloved Elvis!!

xoxo,
Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment